It’s all about the heart!
February is the month of hearts – the month we celebrate Valentine’s day and focus on awareness to maintain a heart healthy lifestyle.
A heart-healthy lifestyle is beneficial for our overall heath. When we keep our heart healthy, we feel great and help ourselves stay that way for years to come.
Here are a few simple, heart-healthy food choices that we can make today!
WATER: Aim for 6-8 glasses/day, more if you sweat thru the day.
Make water your beverage of choice! Drink a glass of water with meal and between each meal.
Drink water before, during and after exercise.
WHOLE GRAINS: Aim for 4 cups/day.
Make half your grains as whole grains! Read the ingredients list. Look for “whole wheat”, “brown rice”, “bulger”, “buckwheat”, “oatmeal”, “whole-grain cornmeal”, “whole oats” or “whole rye” FIRST on the list.
FRUITS: Aim for ~2 cups/day
Choose variety, focus on whole fruits – fresh, frozen, canned, or dried – instead of juice.
VEGETABLES: Aim for 2-3 cups/day
Choose to brighten your plate with vegetables that are red, orange, or dark green. To fit more vegetables in your day, start your meal with a salad.
LEAN PROTEINS: 2-3 servings/day
Choose variety from the protein food groups. Choose beans or peas, nuts, soy, and seafood in place of meat or poultry at least twice a week. Experiment with broiling, roasting, or baking – they don’t add extra fat.
LOW-FAT DAIRY: 2-3 servings/day
Choose to drink far-free(skim) or low-fat (1%) milk. If you are lactose intolerant, try yogurt, lactose-free milk, or soymilk to get your calcium.
Limit sodium intake/day. Avoid canned foods- including soups, vegetables, beans, and processed meats.
Key Lime Pie Strawberries
Bite size treat to share with that special valentine!
Makes – 15
• 1(8ounce) package of reduced fat cream cheese – at room temperature.
• ¾ cup powdered sugar
• 1tablespoon lime juice + zest from one lime
• 1-pound strawberries
• 1 crushed graham cracker (optional)
• ½ cup melted chocolate of your choice (I used milk chocolate since I had that handy)
• Wash and cut the stems of the strawberries. Using a metal spoon, scope the center of the fruit to create a hollow.
• Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, lime juice and zest well.
• Spoon in the mix into the strawberry.
• Drizzle with crushed graham crackers(optional) and melted chocolate on the top.
• Let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Wishing everyone a happy, healthy heart!